The Delonghi EC702 espresso maker is the bigger, upgraded version of the Delonghi EC155. It is a sturdier unit, consisting mostly of stainless steel, so it is built to last and shares the same basic functionality as the EC155.
Despite the increase in size, it still has a fairly small footprint, and it’s not difficult to make space for it on the kitchen counter. It is quick and simple to use, looks stylish, and is even easier to clean than the EC155.
As well as making cafe quality espresso, it can also be used to make milk based coffee drinks like cappuccino and latte, by using the attached milk frother.
How much time does it take to make a cup?
One of the factors to consider when choosing an espresso machine is the time you are happy to wait for it to be prepared. For those of us who live busy lives and are often short of time, especially in the mornings before heading off to work, having an automatic espresso machine is partly about the convenience. It’s no good if the time it takes to heat up and serve you is longer than you can wait.
In the instruction manual for the Delonghi EC702 it says to wait 15 minutes for the unit to warm up before it is ready to start making drinks. Many people have found that it is actually adequately warmed up inside 10 minutes, which makes it quicker than the EC155, but it probably comes down to personal taste.
This Delonghi espresso machine can pull a shot of espresso in around 30 seconds, but your preparation time will obviously be increased if you choose to use ground coffee rather than pods, and have to tamp.
One of the expectations that lovers of espresso have about a good cup, is the presence of a thick, flavorsome, crema (the foam on top). It is one of the first signs you get as to the quality of the espresso that has just been poured. The cheaper, steam driven machines are generally incapable of producing a nice crema, and it takes a better quality machine to make nice espresso.
This unit is an espresso machine that produces espresso with a nice crema, and it is able to do so consistently.
In order to prepare milk based coffee drinks, you need a means of heating and frothing the milk that is to be added. The Delonghi EC702 has an adjustable has a patented ‘Cappuccino system’ frother, which is a steam wand. This mixes steam and milk together to create a creamy froth for your cappuccinos and lattes, and takes about a minute to perform its task.
Depending on how high or low you place the steam wand within the milk, you also have the option of just heating the milk without frothing, if you prefer.
Range of coffee that can be used
The Delonghi EC702 has a dual function filter holder which allows you to use either E.S.E (easy serving espresso) pods, or you can use ground coffee. The E.S.E pods give you a high level of convenience, but if you have the time and inclination to use ground coffee and find the right combination of grind and tamping, then this option gives you an even greater degree of control in making the perfect cup of espresso for your taste.
Steam or Bar powered Drive Mechanism
The Delonghi EC702 has a 15 bar pressure pump. This is capable of producing a pressure more than five times greater than that created by the cheap steam powered espresso machines during the extraction process. When the heated water is forced through the espresso grounds at this sort of pressure the end result is a far superior flavor and crema.
If you are looking for the real espresso experience it is important to pay a little bit more on purchasing a quality espresso machine that is not steam powered, and pump driven units are highly effective.
The Delonghi EC702 is a relatively noisy espresso maker during extraction. This is not a big problem for most people as the pump is only in action for around thirty seconds.
Delonghi EC702 Dimensions
This espresso maker measures 11.25 x 8.2 x 12.5 inches.
- The Delonghi EC702 has a arming tray situated on top of the unit to heat your cups as the machine warms up, prior to use.
- It has a 44oz, easily removable water tank.
- It has two separate thermostats, which enable separate control of steam and water temperatures.
- The boiler, portafilter and the casing of the unit are all made from stainless steel.
- It has a removable drip tray.
- The unit comes with a tamper.
The Delonghi EC702 comes with a one year warranty.
- The Delonghi EC702 is mostly made from stainless steel, so it is a very durable unit.
- The espresso machine is relatively small, so easily fits on the kitchen counter or other work surface.
- This Delonghi espresso maker heats up quicker than the EC155.
- It comes with an attached steam wand so you can make milk based coffee drinks as well as quality espresso.
- It is very quick and easy to clean. The steam wand and the drip tray at the bottom can be removed to aid cleaning, and the stainless steel of the unit is easily wiped clean.
- You can use either E.S.E certified pods, or ground coffee with this unit, giving you a wide range of choice, and great convenience.
- The water tank is large and holds enough water for multiple drinks, and can be easily removed from the unit, making it easy to fill and clean.
- The espresso that is produced has a very good, thick crema.
- In contrast to some other espresso machines, the EC702 has a good distance between the bottom of the portafilter and the drip tray, which allows larger cup sizes to be used with the unit.
- The tamper that comes with the unit is generally not considered by people to be a particularly good one. If you are going to be using ground coffee regularly, rather than pods, then you may find you need to invest in a separate tamper, but they are fairly cheap to buy.
- The unit makes a fair amount of noise while the pump is in operation.
- The warming tray is slow to heat up the cups, and it often takes longer than the time taken to heat up the machine for the cups to get properly warm.
The Delonghi EC702 espresso machine has been generally well received by consumers. With it’s stylish, durable, stainless steel build, and its ability to produce cafe quality espresso with good crema, the majority of people who have purchased it have been happy with its value for money performance. It currently has a 3.7 star rating from customer reviews on Amazon.
The best deals on espresso machines are found on Amazon, and this espresso maker is currently available at a massive discount from its recommended retail price. It also comes with free shipping. Please click the link below to take a look at the current offer: