The Delonghi EC155 espresso machine has been a popular choice with consumers ever since it was first launched onto the market. Featuring a 15 bar pump, and coming in at a relatively low price for pump driven espresso makers, it is widely regarded as a good entry level machine in the pump driven category, for those looking to move away from the coffee shop and the drive through, and make their espresso at home.
Being relatively small and compact, it fits in the kitchen with no problems, and is easily portable. Not only that, it is easy to operate and makes a great cup of espresso. Using the adjustable swivel jet frother, it is also simple to make latte and cappuccino.
But while it undoubtedly represents good value at the price, it is a budget option for those looking for the real espresso experience, and there is no denying that some people will be more satisfied with a more expensive espresso machine of even higher quality.
How much time does it take to make a cup?
One of the things that can be of interest when selecting an espresso machine, is the total time it takes to produce a cup of espresso. You will know how long you are prepared to wait to get your cup, and how much time you have in your schedule.
The Delonghi EC155 takes longer than the very fast Nespresso models like the Nespresso Citiz. To begin with the machine needs to be heated for 15-20 minutes before the temperature is sufficient to produce a good espresso. After it has heated sufficiently, making a cup can take around 2-3 minutes, and you can only do one cup at a time.
The presence of a thick crema is always desired by espresso enthusiasts, it is one of its pleasures. But not all espresso machines are capable of producing it. In particular, the cheap steam driven machines usually fail in this regard.
This unit is consistent in its ability to produce a thick layer of crema.
If you are going to be adding milk to the drinks you prepare, then the milk frother is going to be of interest to you.
The EC155 Delonghi uses a froth-assisted steam wand to heat and froth the milk. The frothing is an efficient and easy process and heats the milk up in just a matter of seconds giving a good foam. However, it just falls short of the standard produced by a commercial steam wand, as found on the Rancilio Silvia.
The steam wand on this unit is quite short, and is low towards the counter surface, so only small jugs of milk can be heated.
Range of coffee that can be used
The Delonghi EC155 espresso maker is E.S.E certified (easy serve espresso), which enables you to buy the E.S.E certified pods from online stores or places like Starbucks. This can save you the time and effort of having to grind and tamp. However, you can also use whatever brand of ground espresso you prefer.
Steam or Bar powered
The Delonghi EC155 is a pump driven espresso machine. The better quality machines are pump driven as opposed to steam driven, as they are capable of creating much greater pressures which helps to improve extraction, giving the espresso produced a better flavor and helping to create the crema.
This espresso maker is one of the lowest cost units that is pump driven. If you want the real espresso experience, you have to get a machine with a pump mechanism rather than one which is steam driven like most of the cheapest espresso makers are.
Unlike the fairly quiet Nespresso machines, the Delonghi EC155 does actually make a fair amount of noise when it is in operation. This is not a big issue for most people, but can be worth considering.
Delonghi EC155 Dimensions
The measurements of this espresso maker are 7.5 x 13.25 x 11.5 inches.
- The Delonghi EC155 has a metal surface on its top which can be used to warm the cups before use.
- It has two thermostats, which enables water and steam to be individually controlled. This helps you to always brew cappuccino or espresso at the right temperature.
- This Delonghi coffee maker has a removable drip tray.
- The portafilter and boiler are made of stainless steel. The casing of the unit is made from a high grade, durable plastic.
- The espresso machine has a built in tamper.
- It has a 35oz removable water tank.
The Delonghi EC155 comes with a one-year warranty.
- The Delonghi EC155 makes good cappuccino and latte, as well as espresso.
- The unit is relatively small, so it doesn’t take up much space on the kitchen counter.
- The water tank is a decent size and can hold enough water for multiple shots of espresso. It is also removable, making it easy to fill.
- The build quality is good, with both stainless steel and high quality plastics used, helping to make the a durable piece of equipment.
- The filter is quick and easy to clean, and the catch tray at the bottom can be easily lifted out making cleaning simple.
- It features a 15 bar pump pressure for high quality extraction, helping to produce a high quality, flavorsome espresso.
- It produces a good crema, one of the hallmarks of a good shot of espresso.
- You can use E.S.E certified pods or ground espresso.
- The Delonghi espresso EC155 comes with a built in plastic tamper than many people have found difficult to use adequately. Some people recommend buying a separate metal tamper, if you like to use ground coffee often.
- It’s a good unit if you only need to make one or two cups at a time, but can take too long if you are entertaining guests.
- It’s not the quietest of espresso machines.
With this espresso machine being pump driven, and making a good cup of espresso at such a low price, it is a very popular unit amongst consumers. The vast majority of people who have purchased it are very happy with their decision, and it currently receives a rating of 4 stars from a large number of votes on Amazon.
Amazon consistently offer the best prices online on espresso machines, and at this moment in time are offering a very large reduction in price of this Delonghi espresso machine. It also comes with free shipping. Please click the link below to see today’s price: